Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What Are Those Two Circles?

After almost a week in the NC mountains, living without air conditioning (because you don't need it,) sleeping without medication (because you don't need it,) and eating whatever is in front of you (because...,) I started to see how my children perceive summer vacation.  It became blatantly apparent to me that summer is truly the culmination of the entire year.  I'm not sure why God put summer in the middle of year so we just get confused as to when the year actually starts and ends.  If He just made the hot/fun months from October - December, then we could start the year in January with school and work until the beginning of "Summer" at the end of September.  Summer would run its course for the remainder of the year and then January rolls around again for school.

But noooooooooo.  Mittendrinen (please Google for my gentile friends), we have to have summer right in the middle of everything.  This just shows that Julius Cesar was as vain as they come; naming the most fun month, July, after himself and putting it at a time of the year where everyone is looking forward to saying his name all time.  "Let's wait until July to go on vacation, I can't wait until July so I don't have to be in school, lets not pay the electric bill until July" (maybe not that one.)  But you get the picture.

All kids do is look forward to the summer!!!  I was/am one of those kids.  I loved that July brought me the time to go on a hike with family.  I loved that we were forced to talk to each other and sing songs with each other.  I loved that we can stay up late and tell stories to each other.  In actuality, I thank Julius, and God, for giving me the summer in order to remind me how important it is to just BE with one another.

So there I am, on the phone with my wife, recapping their summer day and she says to me, "your daughter (4 years old) looked at the dog as it was walking away from her and asked, 'what are those two circles on the bottom of the dog?'"  Another reason that summer is so special...the endless learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment